Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kitchen Essentials

I just moved and I was stunned at the amount of edible “stuff” that I pulled out of my cupboards that was long forgotten, rarely used, or even never used! I have plenty of good reasons to have all of this: Chinese, dried black straw mushrooms… I know I had visions of some tasty ethnic “hot pot” dinner party… 2 packages of dried star anise… there was that evening that I roasted a duck “Peking style,” but why I have two packages I may never know. I have more varieties of dried beans than most people even knew existed. My spices filled an entire paper grocery bag. Mango relish, green chili chutney, 3 different varieties of shredded coconut, 6 different vinegars, 7 different quality cooking oils, And guess how many gluten free flours… 9!
This inspired me to look honestly into what I consider “Kitchen Essentials.” What is it that I really need in the kitchen to get by and create a variety delicious and wholesome food on demand? The following is what I came up with. I will break this down over a few posts, and split it into different categories.
Lets start with spices. I do believe that variety is the spice of life (maybe that explains the entire grocery bag full of spices☺). But I also find that there are a few spices that go well with so many things and the health benefits are also noteworthy.

Top Ten Spices that I consider essential in the evolved kitchen:

1. Sea Salt. Get your self some high quality sea salt. It is full of life giving minerals. I suggest adding at the end of cooking by pinching with your fingers and sprinkling over the top. This way you use less, and it really makes a difference in the way the flavors “pop.”

2. Cumin. I was raised in New Mexico and grew up cooking amazing Southwestern food. Cumin is essential in this style of food. It has a musky, almost smoky quality to it, and I find it adds depth to the other flavors. It is particularly nice with black beans, corn dishes, chicken, and it compliments chile powder beautifully. It helps prevent gas and can ease a nauseous stomach.

3. Curry powder with extra turmeric. Curry powder can transform any ordinary dish into something extraordinary! It is truly an amazingly delightful spice. Put it into your stir-fry, put some in with your beans, add to your rub for meats, sprinkle into the water that you cook rice or quinoa in, or add to salad dressing for extra pizzazz. Curry powder is a blend of several spices, most often including turmeric, cumin, cardamom, fenugreek, and ginger. These spices (particularly turmeric) can have anti-inflammatory effects on the body. They are also “warming” and help to circulate “qi” or energy in the body. In addition they can be very helpful for smooth digestion. If you add extra turmeric then just be aware that this can increase bitterness.

4. Garlic powder. Garlic powder can be a big time saver and if you get fresh powder it can add quite a lot of flavor. If I am out of fresh garlic or if I don’t feel like taking the time to mince it, I just add in some garlic powder. I use it soups and stews, beans, quinoa, my savory breads, and in my pumpkin seed pesto. The antimicrobial benefits are not as high with the powder.

5. Cardamom. I am currently in love with the spice! The aroma is sweet, and citrus and enveloping. The health benefits are pretty stunning as well. Cardamom has antioxidant, antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. It’s great in spice cookies and sweeter vegetable-based soups such as pumpkin, or butternut squash. It also pairs well in dishes focused around chicken, rice, and lentils. I use it as my secret ingredient in my “GF Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies!”


Ok, this should give you something to chew on for a couple of days ☺. I will add my next 5 shortly.

No comments: